Day 7 & 8
Day 7: Drive back up to Zurich
Started with a nice and cosy breakfast. I have learnt how to say "doesn't eat wheat/bread in german" - it sounds phonetically like "kein esser brut/meal" or something like that. I'm all prepared for X'mas vacation, baby!!
Took a walk around Lake Geneve - we ended up riding Jessica and Carissa's bikes when they got tired of riding. Have to say that Carissa's bike is far more my size than Lisa's is.. haha. My feet can touch the ground! Fed the ducks and swans and then grabbed some lunch before driving back up to Zurich.

Fluelen, Switzerland - sleepy little town on a lake

Circus bear on little bike

Dangerboy on the run!!!

Helping Dangerboy to fight the urge to dive in to swim with the ducks

Us on Lake Luzern (at least that's what I think the lake is)

One more for the wall

Monkey see, monkey do...

Kids with protective headgear - a mother's dream!!

Dave and Lisa dropped us off at the Zurich airport and we said goodbye to the Hamburgers, who were off to their next adventure in Garmisch. We stashed the bike away in airport and then took a hotel bus back to the Welcome Inn where I managed to wrangle a cheaper rate out of the very sweet (and very effeminate) receptionist. Watched the TDF on tv and then hiked out in the summer heat to the supermarket (which was further away than we thought cos of a road detour). Managed to pick up 2 days worth of groceries for CHF30, which wasn't bad considering that dinner would probably have cost us more than that.
Day 8: Zurich
We took a train into Zurich after checking out... wandered around some downtown but the weather wasn't cooperating as it was really still and humid. Finally hit some breeze near the playground and the lake. Finally discovered a supermarket in the form of the CoOp. Stocked up on diet coke, yogurt and pasta salad and had lunch by the lake. Did some shopping on the way back to the train station and then rushed back to catch the shuttle back to the airport.
That's pretty much our entire trip. We're back in muggy Singapore, but in a way, I'm glad to be back where I know where to get good, cheap food and in our own bed. Kale says we'll be much better prepared for our December trip. I didn't think we could bring food into Switzerland, but now that I know we can, we're going to be stocked up for Xmas vacation!!
It was a different and interesting vacation for me. Like I said, our family vacations tend to be far more passive and city-bound.. and considerably more structured (especially around meals). So this whole flexi-experience was definitely novel for me. Hanging out with 3 kids 24-7 is also a totally new experience. One that makes me question my readiness for parenthood, but oh well, I guess that's something that you'll be ready for when you get there. The good news is, however, that Kale was really awesome with them, so if anything, I'm at least blessed with a good partner for all that.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home