week on week
last week was one of the most trying so far. it started 2 thursdays ago. meredith just wouldn't stop eating. she'd feed and then an hour after her hour-long feed, she'd be hungry again. or at least that's what we interpreted the crazy incessant screaming to mean.
it got to the point that i was perpetually attached to her at the boob. my boobs were so sore and felt perpetually empty. went to see the lactation consultant and her diagnosis - i didn't have enough milk for my big eater of a daughter. so? of course yours truly panics and spirals into a whirlwind of "OMG, my child's only source of nourishment is me and I'm NOT MAKING ENOUGH!!" my child is going to starve and it's ALL MY FAULT. so i did everything the lactation consultant recommended - drank soup, drank hot drinks, massaged my boobs, pumped after every feed, etc etc..and the whole time I was tired, sore and just depressed. and sooo worried that I'd have to resort to formula which the doc said to avoid if possible cos of potential allergy issues.
i spent all my spare time reading websites, talking to la leche league volunteers to try to figure out what the issue was. i suspected it was a growth spurt but it was lasting longer than all the literature said they lasted. but man, i was hoping with all hope that that was all it was.
so thankfully, i *think* we're a little better off than last week. she's sleeping in slightly longer periods now although the past 2 nites she's been wide awake most of the night and hence cranky during the day. i'm finally beginning to feel full again so i'm not so worried that my poor baby is going to starve to death. i think it was a growth spurt..
every week brings with it new challenges. i'm just ready for a week where things suddenly become better. i still feel inadequate - being alone with her freaks me out in case she goes into one of her screaming spells and i don't know what to do about it... the doc said it gets better around 2 months of age.. please let that be so..


4 Comments:
I just wanna say that u r doing great! :) Also, thanks for dropping by yesterday.
dunno if this helps.. my col says tat after eating fish sliced kai lan, her boobs were leaking milk..
thanks for all the positive vibes... i'm grasping at straws here!! =(
san-san: no problem at all.. thought it would be fun to hang out with elodie and it would be easier to take her to someone's house than out and about.. turned out to be quite an adventure going out for lunch with a toddler, a baby and an old grandma. haha
Hee hee, now u know why i'm exhausted after a weekend. I just can't wait for the twins to have their own kids!!! wahahaha!
Anyway, on a different note, I just wanna say that I intro the pacifier to E after I realised that she just wanna suckle for comfort when she is, in fact, full and puking after suckling. I would rather be a cow than a human pacifier :p lol...
So you will have to monitor the patterns. After giving her the pacifier, I had much more time to pump. We gave her the Avent pacifier as it was much flatter than the rounder ones like Nuk & Pigeon.
Post a Comment
<< Home