Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Let's get physical...

So this whole parenthood thing? Definitely a physical activity. My left wrist has been killing me for 2 weeks, and I've been to a chinese sinseh twice to see if I can get the kink sorted out. But after the 2 visits and a still achy wrist, I decided to go see a sports doctor today.

Diagnosis? 2 sprained tendons and a sprained ligament. Thankfully it's not irreversable (unlike some De-something or the other syndrome) and it's not carpal tunnel. Managed to sprain the wrists while breastfeeding Meredith from all that wrangling with her wildly thrashing head!

Treatment? Anti-inflammatory cream, some painkillers which I am leaving as a last resort and instructions to not cock my wrists and to ice the wrists after each feed. This is after I saw a lactation consultant yesterday for blocked ducts/latching problems and was told to drink a warm drink and massage my breasts with a hot towel before each feed to loosen up the ducts and to pump after each feed to stimulate supply.

Erm, given that her feeds are at best 3 hours apart, where am I going to find time to do all that??? I barely have enough time to sleep!!! Sigh.. who said parenthood was easy? Worst thing is I totally feel so incompetent. I get into a panic each time I'm left at home alone with Meredith. It's just psychologically reassuring to have someone around the house in case she acts up. I don't feel so helpless and am able to sleep when she does. Otherwise, if it's just me, I can't fall asleep cos I'm on edge waiting for her to squirm and start screaming and jump at every noise she lets out. Sigh.

My biggest fear is that I'm so caught up in being so busy and tired that I don't have the time or energy to enjoy her. And I don't want to wake up one day and find out she's already 1 and I've totally missed her baby days. She's already 5 weeks old and I can't believe how fast the past few weeks have flown by!!

2 Comments:

At 9:20 AM, Blogger Jod's mommy said...

D,

In between her naps.. find a min to sit down and do deep breathing execrises before u go bonkers.

It will help calm your nerves a hell lot!!

Have fun!

 
At 11:06 AM, Blogger maleana said...

i'll try but honestly, i don't know where i can find the time!!! ack. and she's taken to sleeping less.. which is fun for ppl who come over to play with her, but not so cool for me. but i guess it's a developmental thing - sleeping less..

thanks for the comment tho.. will try to calm my nerves. sigh

 

Post a Comment

<< Home