Monday, August 28, 2006

Time Trial

Kale here - So yes, as Denise said, I had a good race. No pictures from me either because riding a time trial is hard enough, taking pictures would be impossible.

The race, hmm, where to start. The organizers decided that they'd have a crack at being creative with the start list and while I was at first a bit perplexed with their order, it soon became apparent that they made up their own method. Normally, time trial order is based on some current or prior ranking, with last place going first and first place starting last. Since the advantage is normally to start last, it at least has a method to it. So, how did the organizer do it? Alphabetical. By first name. Yeah. Logical right? Ka....put me right in the middle. Thanks Mom and Dad for not naming me Alex or something like that.....

Anyway, i showed up at about 8.30 for a 9.48 start and tinkered around a while doing the usual pre-race stuff (toilet, change, warmup) until about 9.40 when i went to loiter at the start area. The rain had been holding off through the morning but by my start it started to drizzle. By the half way point of my first (of three) laps it was pouring. And windy. Think Slanted rain.

At the end of my first lap i got the time and it was already 55 seconds down. Ouch. So i know i'm not winning, but i also didn't know if i was 2nd, 3rd, last, whatever. By the end of the 2nd lap i passed my minute man, the 2 minute man, the 3 minute man and I also found out that the guy 4 minutes ahead broke his handlebars and stopped, and the 5 minute guy had a flat and was now behind me. So far so good. Considering there were only 15 or so starters it was looking ok.

Came across in 51.30 or something. Miles behind first who clocked 49.10 but woo hoo, it was good enough for second. Third place was at 52.40 or so and the rest were closely stacked around there.

I certainly would have liked to win but you do what you can. I'm thinking the last month was sort of a 'month long taper'...But as I told Denise, even on a good day I'd be ok with 2nd behind the winner since he absolutely flies! My team ended up with 2nd, 3rd and 5th so not bad on that front either. Next up, the Team Time Trial!

Kale

1 Comments:

At 9:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not to mention that riding has sort of taken somewhat of a back seat lately... ;)

Great race!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home