Saturday, February 19, 2005

A dose of "mother earth"

Ok, so I typed a really long entry last nite, and then the blogger system hung and I lost it. Duh.

It was all about my first belly dance lesson in a loong loong time. In all of 7 months to be exact. But since I tired myself out typing the first loooong entry, the reprise will be short.

Basically two words - OUCH and WEIRD. Ouch because my thighs hurt like they've not hurt in a loong loong time. And before any of your pervs out there think up sleazy thoughts (yes, you know who you are..), it's cos I haven't shimmied in forever. Shimmying is tough on the thighs.. OW.

Weird because this new teacher is very in touch with herself and spirituality. hmm. Not exactly my cup of tea. Granted, yes, belly dance can be taken to be some sort of "holistic" activity.. but my last teacher was first trained in ballet and other forms of dance, so she taught belly dance as yet another dance form.. not a form of getting in touch with "mother earth".

To be honest, I haven't exactly been looking very hard for a new teacher after my previous school closed down in May due to both teachers upping and following their hubbies overseas. So when one of them recommended this lady to me, I said, sure, why not.. and tried my first class yesterday.

Now I'm not too sure whether to continue or not. She's actually a pretty decent teacher (minus her eccentricities), she's non-judgemental, and seems to be able to demonstrate the moves relatively well. But there's just something about how the class is held that's odd (it's held in the living room of someone's apt.. and it's not even her apt, it's her parents' friend's apt). She also believes in not having any mirrors cos she wants us to "feel" the movements of our bodies. Hmm.

Kale seems to think I should sign on for one series of classes (as opposed to the private lesson I had yesterday)... just to make sure it's not a first-impression thing. I think I will.. but in the meantime, I'll continue my search for other options.. just in case the weirdness gets the better of me..

For now though, I'll try to center my thoughts on my hip shimmies and undulations.. and try my best to get in touch with mother earth. yeah... sure....

Actually, I'm off for lunch and then a seminar at NUS on corporate governance.. *yawn*. The things I do in the name of work.. bleah.

1 Comments:

At 9:29 PM, Blogger maleana said...

i guess i could.. and it would be something familiar, but the prob is that she only has level 2 classes on sundays, i think. need to check with her. thanks for that thought.. shall go investigate. was thinking of trying out yuki from bellydance discovery.. heard they're doing the chingay this year, so they have to be pretty decent, no?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home