Owww...
Damn, just when I thought that I had finally figured out breastfeeding, I now have blocked ducts and a lump the size of a golf ball in my boob. Followed all the instructions to use hot compresses and massage before nursing, but nothing doing. The lump is still there, and on top of that, it's now really sore because of all the kneading I had the husband do to it. My GP once said that in cases of blocked ducts, to get my hubby to massage out the lumps cos I wouldn't have the strength (nor the guts, I gather) to really massage the crap out of the lump. The words "breasts" + "massage" in the same sentence should be an attention-grabber for most men... but trust me, there is nothing romantic/sexy about this at all as the hubby can attest to. Just lots of swearing and yelping.
So my boob is bruised and sore. It hurts to raise my arm. I just hope it doesn't develop into a breast infection. Grr. Back to massaging (gingerly) and pumping to try and drain it. Suspect it's a result of a few days/nights of not draining my boob quickly/adequately enough cos I was either out or Meredith slept longer than expected. Sigh. Breastfeeding really is a delicate balance.


7 Comments:
I hear you about the brest feeding!!!
Joan
sometimes i wonder if it's all worth it! but after the time when i thought i wouldn't be able to nurse meredith much longer (cos of the jaundice), i realised how much i do enjoy nursing her!
Hi~Cousin Katie here, from Buffalo! I needed to give up my lurker status in order to pop in w/ some advice. My mom, Aunt Mel Mel, thinks I'm the BFing queen. BFing 3 boys for 1 yr each could earn me that status! Anyhow I feel your pain I offer what I tried durring my last breast infection-CABBAGE LEAVES! Oh yeah, now this will add some real interest to your blog~LOL Try rolling out cabbage leaves w/ a rolling pin (to crunch it up a bit) & place it in your bra. The cool leaves actually feel good & somehow they relieve the lump. Alternate w/ your heat & massage durring the day, but leave the leaves in all night. I changed them out for cooler ones when I woke or fed. In a day or so you'll feel the relief & your'll smell great too ;-) HTH! Hope otherwise you guys are well! xoxox
slightly...just ever so slightly...too much information? ;p
hope you get all sorted out soon!
Hi Katie!!! It's so good to haer from you! I'm glad you commented.. always helps to get advice from someone who's gone before, esp if you're the BFing queen! =) I'm also considering locking my entire blog (once I figure out the hosting thing) so it's good to know who's reading so I can give you access! =)
Thought that cabbage leaves reduce milk flow? That's why I've been staying away from them.
How are the boys doing?
Hey Peter, actually, it didn't even occur to me that it would be too much info.. my barometer for propriety has gone out the window. What do you expect from someone who has to consciously remind herself not to feel herself up (checking the tanks, as it were) in public before feeding her daughter...
But yes, I get your point... shall attempt to reduce the boob talk on the blog.. for the sake of the maybe squeamish non-BFing audience.
hey, dun worry about me...all my comments are made with my tongue firmly in cheek... ;)
so bring on the boob talk....it'll be good to get it off your chest (no pun intended!)....and get advice from other mothers!
Post a Comment
<< Home