Sunday, February 26, 2006

first race of 2006

So today was the first race of the year - the Singapore Duathlon 2006. The one that Kale was the poster boy for. hah. 10km run -36km ride-5km run. Probably not quite enough riding and probably too much running for the boy's liking. heh.

Anyhow, the weather today was awesome! No one could have asked for better race weather. Overcast with only a teensy bit of rain after he finished and with a nice breeze blowing all morning. Phew. Made it a whole lot more comfortable for racers and spectators alike.

This year I had a lot more people to watch for - Kale, Raymond, Vincent, Tiny (aka David), Jeanette and Hans & Andrea who were doing the relay. Made it that bit more fun as I didn't just end up waiting 10 mins for Kale to come around each time.

So the race went well. I thought Kale did better than last year, but he will attest that he felt like sh*t and the cycling for him was much slower. I'm trying hard to refrain from going "i told you so" since it was his lack of running training that's causing him all this agony, but eh... I think I've let it slip once or twice today already! heh.

Seriously though, I thought he totally kicked ass.. he came in pretty near the front of the pack from the run, easily within the first 30 or so out of a wave of probably 300 runners. He was 16th or 17th (i lost count) after the 1st bike leg and then was 10th coming in after the bike. He lost a couple of spots on the last 5km run, but I think he finished something like 16th overall (not counting relay teams). Kinda hard to tell where he is in his age category since there were 2 age groups in his wave. My grandma and my dad came down to lend their support... my grandma refused to even sit down in case she missed Kale cycling by! Now that's dedication!

Anyhow, here are some pics from today...
Raymond and Kale in the transition area pre-race
Andrea and I before the race
"Before" shot - all smiles
Kids coming in... aren't they adorable?
Start of the race...

More pics later.. we're late for church!

UPDATE: ok, i'm officially sick again. which means that i won't be uploading the rest of the pics tonite. tomorrow maybe. this damn viral infection is kicking my ass and the docs are reluctant to give me the necessary antibiotics cos all the antibiotics that have been proven to be safe for pregnancy are those in the family of drugs i'm allergic to. yay me! so instead, i get the same old drugs and a day off to rest. usually i'd be thankful for the day to rest, but right now, i'm so tired of being sick that i just want them to give me something stronger to get me better once and for all. grr.

2 Comments:

At 5:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love your grandma!
she is THE coolest, i tell you. heh... :)

 
At 9:49 PM, Blogger maleana said...

yes she is! i have more on how she actually recce'd the race site the night before just so she knew where it was. i'll write that post tomorrow...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home