Thursday, July 06, 2006

Something comforting

I've wanted to blog about this for a looong time but I just never got around to it. I bought this book way back in my first trimester - "Prayers for new and expecting moms". I walked into MPH looking for a quick read for the MRT and this book just happened to be on the discount table and caught my eye. It's a compilation of short stories about different moms and moms-to-be, each facing their own challenges and then a short prayer asking for God's guidance and support.

In my first tri, this prayer spoke out to me "At times I feel paralyzed by a growing apprehension that something will go wrong with my baby's development. Lord, only you can see what the coming days will bring. You alone are able to hold this world, my world, securely in its place. Teach me to lay my fears and my fretting down at your feet. Give me the strength and the good sense to leave them there. Let not uncertain happenings spoil these treasured mths of carrying my unborn child. Give me a strong and robust faith, one that will gladly face down the enemies of my soul. Encourage my heart when weariness and doubts begin to plague my mind. Prepare me to be the mother you have designed me to grow into - in your time and through your grace. Amen"

Recently, I've been torn between applying for no-pay-leave for a couple of weeks till the end of the year after my maternity leave ends. It makes sense since we're really only talking about 3 weeks and the disruption of me coming back to work only to take off again for X'mas doesn't really make sense either. But, the over-achiever/workaholic in me can't seem to be fully at ease with taking the no-pay. I worry about the effect it'll have on my career, I worry about ditching my colleagues for that long, etc. I've also spent the past few days going into the office to clear stuff despite being sick, and it's taken its toll on me.

So recently, these couple of lines from the book have spoken to me.. "Will you give me your wisdom, Lord? Help me set proper priorities within my days. Show me what you consider to be most important. Help us decide the best course to follow. Demonstrate to my limited mind what is of true and lasting value. Lord, I am weary from the endless work. I am exhausted in every way conceivable. Still I am not willing to give up. Balance my expectations and make them reasonable and not prone to excessiveness. Let me live each day with a keen awareness of the finiteness of life and an appreciation for all the blessings bestowed upon me. Amen"

So yeah, the book turned out to be a good buy.. one that's brought me comfort. Different stories speak to me at different times.. Sorry about the long entry, but like I said, I've been planning on writing this one for a while...

2 Comments:

At 1:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Take it easy on yourself. :) It's no easy feat juggling a baby (soon!) and a career. And it only gets harder after the birth b/c you don't (and won't) have control over a lot of things. You ARE and will be an amazing woman even if you did none or one of these things well!

 
At 2:43 PM, Blogger maleana said...

altho i have no clue who you are..thanks for the words of encouragement. =) i hope things don't just totally blow up in my face. i'm sure they will to a certain extent... but i'm hoping to learn to chill a little..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home